Home-owners Embark on Renovation Spree to Modernise Homes and Increase 'Family Time'
VELUX® launches campaign to help homeowners bring extra daylight to their extensions
Nearly half (47%) of the UK’s home owners taking part in a survey by leading window manufacturer VELUX® are planning to carry out home improvements over the next six months.
For the vast majority of home improvers (59%), the main reason for renovating is to either update their interior décor or modernise their homes. However, one out of every ten (10%) ‘home improvers’ is embarking on a project to create or improve space that they can spend more time together in as a family.
For this particular group of ‘family time’ seekers, they are willing to spend big to make their dream a reality, with a planned average spend of £15,589. This is more than double the planned average spend of £6,444 for all home improvers.
The home improvement survey supports the launch of a new campaign from VELUX to inspire and support homeowners with practical tips, advice and tools to help them plan for, and create their dream single story extension with VELUX roof windows.
Other key survey findings include:
- Almost three quarters (72%) of home improvers are planning to begin their work over the next three months (July, August and September).
- Almost half (47%) of home improvers are planning work on their kitchen, with slightly less (42%) planning work on their living space.
- Three in ten home improvers in London (30%) are planning either an extension or conservatory.
Architectural designer and television presenter Charlie Luxton has given the campaign his backing by sharing his own bright ideas and extension tips online at www.velux.co.uk/extensions
“Increasingly, UK homeowners are choosing to make home improvements instead of relocating to bigger and better spaces. This desire to extend and renovate rather than buy and sell is influenced by factors such as cost efficiency and a willingness to personalise existing living space.
“For family households looking to renovate, this research from VELUX® shows that enjoying more time together as a family was an influencing factor when deciding to spend money on improvements.
“It’s never too late to add light to a single-storey extension no matter what stage the project is at. When planning a new extension, it’s important to consider the impact of your plans on daylight in the home. Adding roof windows to your extension allows you to bring in daylight from above, ensuring that both your home and your extension stay light and bright.”
“As VELUX roof windows can bring in twice the amount of daylight to an extension as vertical windows of the same size, bringing the outside in when creating extra space is becoming more attractive to homeowners across the UK.
“For the 20,000 existing extensions without roof windows in the UK and Ireland, there’s always a solution to inject brightness by letting daylight in through the roof. Through our new extensions campaign we aim to educate and inspire homeowners to consider the benefits of adding more daylight to their homes by utilising VELUX roof windows to accompany vertical and bi-fold doors.”
For ways to bring more daylight into your home and to see the difference daylight makes using the VELUX 360° Extension Experience, visit www.velux.co.uk/extensions
- VELUX® is a global company founded on a vision of daylight, fresh air and quality of life – and these benefits are enjoyed in millions of homes around the world.
- VELUX® is one of the strongest brands in the global building materials industry with over 70 years’ experience of creating better living and working environments with natural daylight and fresh air through the roof.
- VELUX® offers a wide range of roof windows, skylights, flat roof solutions, sun tunnels, blinds and roller shutters, home automation, solar energy systems and accessories.
- VELUX® Technology also supplies original VELUX® components to our partners working in the field of roof window sunscreening.
- Quality is a major priority at VELUX® and we devote extensive resources to quality control and market testing to ensure that our products meet all quality requirements
- VELUX® is constantly innovating and just launched a New Generation of products, making the best, even better. The new products are designed to improve the quality of homes, providing even more light, sound insulation and ventilation, while also helping to reduce energy consumption, thanks to advanced ThermoTechnology
*Research carried out by Opinion Matters between 1st July and 5th July 2016 surveying 1,092 UK homeowners and 1,002 UK homeowners who are planning to carry out home improvements in the next six months respectively
**VELUX roof windows let in twice the amount of daylight to an extension as vertical windows of the same size – taken from VELUX publication, Daylight, Energy and Indoor Climate - Basic Book, Version 3.0 – 2014.